Friday 9 July 2010

Saina turns bride!

In a role reversal of sorts, badminton sensation Saina Nehwal made heads turn as she sashayed down the ramp in heavy bridal outfits. “I’m a girl now, hope you liked it,” Saina giggled as she was chewing the fat with Hyderabad Journal. Read on...

Quite nervous and uncomfortable she appeared sashaying down the ramp in pink ‘velvet’ ghagra-choli and cuddling a red dupatta. But, world no.3 badminton star Saina Nehwal made it big on the final day of Hyderabad Fashion Week last week. Kudos to Gopichand for giving a green light on her branding at a fashion show; his decision was well-liked by all and the sundry.

The around-4.75 kg bridal wear that Saina showed off did draw accolades for its intricacy in designing and embellishments, but it was the sports star herself than any that won standing ovation for her daring judgment on being a show-stopper. “Designer Pallavi Jaipur made me just feel confident. It was amazing walking the ramp.”

 Now that she scored a ‘perfect 10’ for her debut as a bride on ramp, it was time to inquire about her tying a knot. “Let me play some more time for India. Moreover, I guess hardly anybody recognized me in this outfit, since they’re used to see me in jeans, trousers and tees. But, I’m enjoying these moments,” she sports a naughty smile.

 Asked what she feels about slipping into the shoes of models, Saina states, “Woah! I was tensed having been a fish out of water amongst them, but managed it somehow. Well, I do put on make-up for photo shoots, but was never into this whole lot of girly stuff. But, I’m a girl now. Hope you liked it!”

 Having hit the headlines recently for her astonishing performance, Saina appears in no hurry to scale to the top slot. “It is true that I’ve no competitors in India, but I’ve to face a tough fight outside. Also, now that Indians are recognizing the sport, there is a bright future for the players.”

 About her soaring brand value, Saina quips, “It’s all because of my performance. But I would never forget my roots because of the name and fame I get. I’m focused on my goals,” she sounds confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment